Entertainment companies are formed to make profits. However, in pursuing this goal, the interests and well being of the skilled artists and crafts people serving the entertainment industry are frequently compromised or, in many cases, entirely overlooked. Therefore, the Art Directors Guild Local 800’s goal is to improve the quality of its members lives through "collective bargaining". Simply stated, when we stand together we are able to negotiate wages, working conditions and benefits that are fair and reasonable. Health and welfare, retirement benefits and minimum wage scales and working conditions are negotiated by the union in the majority of our collective bargaining agreements, and the employers make contributions on behalf of covered employees, in accordance with those agreements.
- Ability to work in the ADG 800 jurisdiction
- Comprehensive health plan
- Pension plan & 401k retirement benefits
- Guaranteed minimum wage scale (of the contract)
- Guaranteed prominent placement of screen credit
- Workplace grievance protection
- Ability to attend ADG Awards banquet
- Ability to participate in union activities and committees
- Research Library and Archives
- Education & training opportunities
- Events & discounts
- Access to the production listing
- Availability list
- Weekly email newsletters & Perspective magazine subscription
- Eligibility for the scholarship fund
- Credit Union & Actors Fund
- Networking opportunities
How to join
Develop the overall look of the story, and collaborate with and supervise other departments in managing the creation of physical and digital set elements.
Illustrators and Matte Artists
Create previsualization through vehicle, creature, character, or scenery concept designs; develop illustrations to communicate the sequence, action, and composition of a scene; and create realistic scenery backgrounds in collaboration with visual effects.
Set Designers & Model Makers
Develop designs for sets and scenery, by hand or using computer software to draft construction drawings and build set models.
Scenic, Title & Graphic Artists
Hand-paint scenery, fine art, and other decoration; design graphics for on-camera use and print advertising; create main titles and screen advertising for film and television.